I recommend serving it with lettuce shreds, diced tomatoes, sour cream and salsa! You can never go wrong there.
We really enjoy Zatarains Spanish Rice which is really good and Daisy Sour Cream. Ok....these are my personal favorites but you can use any brand you like.
Now without further ado.....the recipe....
- 1 package of small or medium flour tortillas (You can adjust this according to your needs and how many you are feeding)
- 1 package of lettuce shreds
- 1 medium tomato (diced)
- 1 package of taco seasoning
- EVOO for cooking the meat
- 1 lb of ground turkey/ground beef/ground pork
- Daisy Sour Cream
- 1 pacakge of Mexican Blend cheese
- 1 small onion finely diced
- 2 tsp of minced garlic
- Preheat your oven to 300 degrees
- In a large skillet start to brown your meat, continually breaking it up as it cooks. If you are using ground turkey, add the EVOO, one turn of the pan to help the meat cook. Season with salt and pepper.
- After about 5 minutes add your onions and garlic to the browning meat mixture and cook until no longer pink.
- Once the meat is done cooking, if using ground turkey, no need to drain. If using the pork/beef drain the excess fat from the pan.
- Sprinkle the Taco seasoning over the meat and taste. I use about 1/3 of the pack as the seasoning is full of salt. If you like a stronger flavor follow the directions on the seasoning packet and add to the meat. *DOING THIS WILL MAKE THE MIXTURE WETTER*
- Place a tortilla on the bottom and layer with cheese. Add enough meat mixture on the top to cover the cheese. Top with more cheese and press down to seal.
- Continue to do this until all the meat mixture is gone
- Place in oven and cook for about 10-15 minutes or until the tortillas are browned.
- Take out and serve with the lettuce, tomatoes, sour cream and salsa!